The feature prioritization matrix (Excel file) and roadmap templates allow you to capture and prioritize feature requests and build out an effective and well-thought out product roadmap. Read our previous post about creating product roadmaps: How to Create Compelling Product Roadmaps | Tips and Best Practices for Success. These files are also part of the 280 Group Product Roadmap Toolkit™.
The Feature Prioritization Matrix Is Included In Our Free Resources
Download All Of Our Free Resources Here
- The Feature Prioritization Matrix lets you rank features within a product against your business criteria to make trade-off decisions and build consensus.
- The “Matrix Example” worksheet provides an illustration of how to fill out the prioritization matrix for a fictitious software company.
- Switch to the “Blank Matrix” to start creating your own feature prioritization
- Assign a weight for each criteria in cells E13 through L13 (make sure they add up to 100.) Build consensus with all stakeholders
- Enter the details for each Application, Major Feature, Feature Set, or Service on its own line.
- Assign a priority for each criteria for each application/feature (0 to 5.) These ranking must be defensible
- When finished adding and prioritizing all applications/features, sort results by selecting all filled in rows starting at column B15 to column M39
- Then sort the data in descending order based on column M (Total score)
- You now have a prioritized and ranked list of applications and features to work with your engineering and other teams to determine where the cutoff line should be.