The Optimal Product Management and Product Marketing training course combines lectures, discussions and hands-on exercises that teach how to effectively manage products throughout the entire Product Lifecycle. The course teaches the flexible and easily adopted 280 Group Optimal Product Process™ Seven-Phase framework. Also taught and included with the course is the Product Management Lifecycle Toolkit™, a set of templates that correspond to the Optimal Product Process. These templates include the Business Case, Market Needs, Product Description, Market Strategy, Product Launch, Beta Program and End of Life plans.
Day One: Product Management Foundation
- Introduction to the Optimal Product Process
- Becoming a Strategic Product Manager
- Market Research
Day Two: Product Management
- Competitive Analysis
- Market Strategy
Day Three: Product Marketing
- Business Case
- Beta Programs
- Product Launches
- End of Life
- Wrap Up
The course provide a comprehensive learning experience that ensures attendees will have the knowledge to apply the Optimal Product Process to their situation. Each phase of the framework and the tasks for both Product Management and Product Marketing are covered in depth. The corresponding templates and deliverables that map to the framework are used as working exercises in the class with relevant examples that demonstrate how the process applies to real-world situations.
Who Should Attend
- The course is appropriate for those new to Product Management and Product Marketing as well as those who are more experienced, and need to enhance their foundational skills and knowledge of their profession.
- Senior Product Managers and Product Marketers with many years of experience will also benefit from this as a refresher course that covers all aspects of the Product Management function.
- Organizations seeking to transform their Product Management and Product Marketing functions can send key leaders from their product teams to attend the course together. The discussions and insights gained during the course have proven to be effective in optimizing companies’ current processes
Course Learning Objectives
- Obtain a deep understanding of how great companies do Product Management and Product Marketing
- Learn skills and knowledge necessary to be an excellent Product Manager and/or Product Marketing Manager in ANY company or industry
- Effectively manage and market any product at any stage in the lifecycle
- Apply the Product Management process effectively for a specific product
- Provide a basic foundation of knowledge for taking the self-study or in-person preparation courses for the industry-standard Certified Product Manager and Certified Product Marketing Manager exams to earn the credentials
After Completion Of This Course Students Will:
- Work more effectively with your team and stakeholders
- Have a thorough understanding of worldwide standards and how to apply them for current and future situations
- Increase your career opportunities and your ability to advance your career
- Achieve credibility with your team and stakeholders by having a complete understanding of the entire Product Lifecycle
- Obtain the knowledge and the skills with the corresponding tools to be more productive and effective
- Understand how to effectively manage any product at any phase in the Product Lifecycle
Optimal Product Process Methodology
The Optimal Product Management and Product Marketing training course combines the Optimal Product Process Seven-Phase framework and 280 Group Product Management Lifecycle Toolkit to teach what is called the 280 Group Optimal Product Process. The combination of resources provides a comprehensive learning experience, and ensures that attendees have a flexible and powerful process that can be applied to their situation. Each phase of the framework, and lifecycle that Product Management and Product Marketing are responsible for is explained thoroughly and then the corresponding templates and deliverables that map to the framework are used as working exercises in the class with relevant examples presented.
280 Group Optimal Product Process Framework*The Optimal Product Process Seven-Phase framework is a worldwide Product Management and Product Marketing standard that takes into account best practices used in a wide range of companies and industries. This ensures that the most modern and up-to-date challenges faced in Product Management and Product Marketing are addressed for today’s environment. The framework includes seven distinct product phases, from Conceive to Retire, and covers all aspects during the entire Product Lifecycle (See the Phases and Activities graphic above for each of the seven phases).
Each Attendee Receives The Following:
- Printed copies of all materials and slides used in the course
- Optimal Product Process™ handbook (a reference book with more in-depth information for each lifecycle phase)
- Certificate of completion for “Optimal Product Management and Product Marketing”
- Single user license for the Product Management Lifecycle Toolkit™, which includes the nine core templates that cover both Strategy and Execution
About The Product Management Lifecycle Toolkit
The 280 Group Product Management Lifecycle Toolkit is a set of corresponding templates that map to the Optimal Product Process Seven-Phase framework. The toolkit is designed to provide a foundation for all training attendees to use as they manage their products throughout the lifecycle. During the training course as they learn the skills and knowledge required for each phase they have the corresponding templates in the toolkit so that they can immediately apply what they have learned upon completion of the training.
The nine templates (plus 25 additional supplemental templates and informational documents) in the toolkit ensure that:
- Every critical aspect of the product is thought through both strategically and tactically
- There is no duplication of content when documenting the critical product decisions and recommendations
- Plans and decisions can be documented with as much or as little detail as the company and team situation requires
- Course attendees are very productive and do not have to create their own templates or documents
- The organization gains a way of doing ongoing learning and continuous improvement to ensure they become closer to excellence with every release